Research Regulation in the NWT

Do I need a GNWT research permit / licence to do research in a National Park?

Sep 26, 2011

No, you don’t.  In National Parks and other lands administered by Parks Canada, a Research and Collection Permit is required instead of an Archaeologists Permit, Wildlife Research Permit, or a Scientific Research Licence. There are other approvals that you may need though, depending on your study. For example, you may need a Migratory Birds Scientific Permit, or you may need to go through an environmental impact screening for work in the Inuvialuit Settlement Region. Talk to the research coordinator at the National Park you wish to work in for more information.