Research Regulation in the NWT

Does the research permitting processes include authorization to access and use Private Lands?

Sep 26, 2011

No, they do not. Having a research permit or licence does not authorize anyone to access or use Private Lands in a settled land claim region.  A research permit or licence also does not include Land & Water Board approvals, nor authorization to enter a Migratory Bird Sanctuary or National Wildlife Area.

Access to, and use of, Private Lands is a separate process and has to be directly addressed with the aboriginal land administrator and/or other organizations that may apply to your location and the potential impacts of your fieldwork.

If you are not sure whether your fieldwork location requires authorization to access or use Private Lands, you must check with all relevant agencies.